Friday, March 31, 2006

The Art Meme

I'm going to do Scout's meme, because it's about art.

The meme is - post one of your favorite paintings.

But, there are too many that are my favorites for me to decide. So I'll post five of my favorites.

1. So Happy, Andy Warhol (any of his cats, really, because they are weird, low-rent paintings that don't have the typical Andy Warhol irony in them.)

2. Autumn Rhythm (Number 30), Jackson Pollack - (Pictures stink - this is so amazing to actually stand in front of) There is a grace about this picture, a sadness, a weariness, and a frantic quality.

3. Christina's World, Andrew Wyeth - there is peace, but a little desperation - how will she get to the house? All she can do is look at it.

4. The Luncheon of the Boating Party, Pierre-Auguste Renoir - because when you see it in person it's absolutely astonishing. Every character has a personality and a story. Every stroke is there on purpose. The colors are living. It breathes.

5. The Last Judgment, Michelangelo Buonarroti - this fresco is over the altar in the Sistine Chapel and is an allegorical or "story" painting that illustrates different parts of the bible (and is sometimes very creepy). Michelangelo's bible characters are real people; his Christ is a powerful, muscular man who bears no resemblance to the delicate, non-Jewish, blue-eyed Jesus of the 1800s. This is Christ who sweated blood, walked miles on dusty roads, and said things to the religious establishment that sounded crazy. He is human. Artfully done, maybe a tad massive, a teeny bit too Roman, but human.

I love that. So, your turn for the meme.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

How come I didn't know Warhol did cats?! I love those cats! Thank you!

Oh, I agree about the Boating Party - I've seen it in person, and the colors are literally breathtaking. Genius.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

They're happy cats. He must have liked them.

Check out Theophile Alexandre Steinlen as well. He has some nice cats as well.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

PS, I think Chaos modeled for him!

10:58 AM  
Blogger Scoutj said...

Those are great picks!

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home