Saturday, January 28, 2006

Gorgeous Sweater & What I'm Up To

Check this out if you haven't already - Josephine (Scroll down.)

Well done, you!

Instead of knitting on Dad's socks tonight, I cast on for this pattern. Progress after about 3 hours of lazy knitting -

Meeting the Dragon

I had a little trouble parsing one or two things about the pattern, namely, the M1 increases. I have notoriously bad luck doing these, and the only kind I really seem to be able to do properly is kfb. However, on this pattern (see chart) I really had to think about which stitches should be kfb - not the T, but the one before it - and then of course I had to come up with an alternate game plan for those rows that end in a decrease immediately followed by M1, K1. I decided to do a lifted increase for that, which is where you knit into the back of the stitch below the next stitch to be worked. I fussed and fiddled with this a lot. One pattern repeat took me about 45 minutes. I have a feeling I can finish them a little faster now that I have an understanding of how to do those M1s. I can see where I did it differently on that first repeat. I'm not kidding when I say I need to swatch a pattern repeat before beginning a project. It's not for gauge, it's so I can work crap like that out. Oh well. When I was doing the lifted increases the dragon didn't have a backbone. I wanted one. Kfb's accomplish this.

The yarn shown in the pattern is tweedy, yummy stuff. It calls for DK weight but I didn't have any, so I used worsted on 6's. It looks and drapes fine. My big rowing arms don't need slender gauntlets anyway. (I am using Wool of the Andes, because I started feeling insanely guilty that I have about 16 balls of this stuff just sitting under my end table, all alone. And my wrists are cold.)

So, I'm going to go knit something.

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Those look very fun - bet it will take care of your cold wrists in fine fashion.

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee, thanks. It is a very cool sweater. I wore it most of the weekend!

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm making the socks that the gauntlets were inspired by, how fun! One thing I can't figure out, where does the thumb go in the gauntlet? Is there a hole I didn't see in the pattern?

1:18 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

This is what the pattern says, but I'm not sure I understand it.

• After row 12, do not knit stockinette across the chart in the round (as for row 1 of the chart). Rather, turn the knitting around and knit back across the ribbing (working in pattern, of course) and then purl across needles 1 and 2 where the chart section is. Turn the needles around, and continue on row 2, etc., until you’ve finished row 12.
o This back-and-forth method allows for a spacious thumb hole, without having to add a buttonhole.

7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll have to post a picture of the thumb hole when it's done, I'm totally intrigued (and thinking this would look great in that fantastic red yarn you sent me).

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home