Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Space Dad Socks

I started my dad's birthday socks last night. Regia 4faedig on 2mm needles, two at the same time (but not the interconnected two circs method, I'm still scared of that and don't have time to fiddle because his birthday is Feb 10). The pattern I'm sort of making up as I go. I originally started with the "Gentleman's Plain Winter Sock" from Knitting Vintage Socks (don't you love those ridiculous names, such a mouthful), but Dad has size 13 feet and these are sized up to men's 10.5.

Once again, I repeat to myself that socks work on negative ease, while wondering if the diameter was supposed to change radically or just a little. So I hunted around and found a big sock pattern in Holiday Knits (the Angora House Socks) and used the measurements in inches from there. Then Elle and Sheila at the Yarn Store suggested that I make the socks ribbed since I don't have him around for a fitting.

So, I'm ribbing down the top of the foot, putting in a French heel and switching to stockinette and going for the 12 inch long sock. I'll write the pattern out if it works, because there is a daring lack of sock patterns for guys with big feet out there.

But oh - you remember that Dad's Codename is Space Dad, right? And you've seen those time-lapsed photos of meteor showers or even just the stars moving, with all the pretty different colored streaks?

This yarn does that. I'm not kidding! It is so perfectly suited to Space Dad, with a navy background and small hints of other star-colored streaks...

If I can do a good job on them, then the pattern will be called Space Dad Bigfoot Socks. Or something.

And oh goodness, does this ever make me cringe. I mean, it's cringeriffic. Kirsten??? Anyone??? Can you explain this to me? I'm going over the edge, I mean - that's a little too much leg showing for a nice Christian girl, don't you think? Are we seeing a pattern here?

Baffling

7 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

The yarn sounds very cool - pictures?

7:46 AM  
Blogger ~k said...

Wow. ModestWear. Wow.

Did I say Wow?

I think I'm speechless.

Wow.

11:23 AM  
Blogger fledchen said...

Are those swimsuits intended to drown the wearer with excess weight?

1:26 PM  
Blogger Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said...

Was that at www.amishandlovingit.com?

5:54 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Hi Jen-

I know you haven't been knitting socks very long but the only difference between a sock "written" for a size 10.5 and a size *whatever* is FOOT LENGTH. For example a size 10.5 may have an 10 in foot where a size 13 has a 12.5 inch foot. You adjust the pattern by lengthening the foot so ANY sock can be for ANY size! You could have easily adjusted the Vintage Gentleman's sock to fit your dad by just knitting extra length into the foot!
As for manly sock patterns, I agree there is a dearth but I just happen to have a free one on my blog :) In manly colors it's quite, well manly and in brights, perfect for a woman....it's written for sport weight, size 10.5. If you'd like me to help you convert it to fit your dad, just ask!

1:28 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Yes, you're right, six pairs in six months isn't exactly mythic sock knitter status. I'm trying to understand what you said - here's why...

My knitting elders recommended increasing the circumference as well as the length and knitting the top of the foot in ribbing to be sure it fits. I am knitting this pair with an 8" circumference based on their advice and some advice borrowed from some sock books I have. Though I keep trying them on over my socks, they still feel snug even on my feet, so I'm hoping they'll fit him all right.

The problem seems to be the ankle bone. Biggest part of the foot, etc.

Thanks for the offer to convert the pattern, I'm sure I could work it out myself since I do think I understand the basic theory, but you're sweet to offer.

1:44 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Actually, Jen, I guess I meant IF the foot circumference is ok, you can lengthen ANY sock to fit any foot! I like my socks with 1.5 - 2 inches of negative ease so with the ribbing, I think they should fit your Dad fine! I'm sorry if I wasn't clear :)

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home