Friday, January 27, 2006

Through to the Next Round

I love it when Simon says that - especially now that I'm a knitter, and "round" means something.

I'm through to the next round on these socks...I finished the leg ribbing last night and then spent a while puzzling over Sock Theory for the best way to divide for the heel. I want the instep to begin and end with purl stitches to avoid an unnaturally wide foot portion (also, needle joins are tighter if you end with a p stitch and then tighten that last one and the first one within an inch of their lives) and it took my dyslexic brain a little while (I think I had smoke coming out my ears) to figure out how I wanted to do this. I finally got it and started my heel flap. This yarn is going to make a pretty heel as well, though since it's sort of a stripey yarn I probably ought to knit the heels in contrasting colours to keep the stripe going. Humph.

So far the socks are almost - within a row - perfectly matched. That's unusual for me. Normally my socks are fraternal unless knit with solid colors.

So that's progressing. What I'm trying to do is knit part of the first sock, write out how I did it, and then knit the same part of the second sock and follow my instructions to make sure it works. I'm my own test knitter, ha ha.

I bought some lovely skeins of Lorna's Laces in Icehouse to make socks for Mom (she requested them!) and I'm thinking of making either Elfine or the Embossed Leaves socks from the Winter Interweave Knits. I also have one or two other patterns stacked up in the queue that I'd like to knit - Rib and Cable socks, Diagonal Rib socks, even the Web Socks (those are all subscriber-only from IK...go get a Winter issue and use the password on the editorial page to get in...this is a first...and you can look at all of their subscriber-only patterns AND download them).

What I've discovered about socks is that they are portable, versatile enough to challenge me, they take enough time so that I'm sufficiently interested but not so much time I get bored, they are great gifts, and they are endlessly customizable. So for now I'm on a sock kick.

But really, I still have to work on Clapotis, and some arm warmers, and Kate the kitty, and many, many other things.

Sigh.

(PS. About those bathing suits - it seems to me there are two kinds of immodesty. There is the kind that will let you show an entire butt cheek to strangers, and there is the kind that is willing to cover itself up in a manner that stands out in order to prove its point. Both are showoffs, and both are forms of pride. The people who think they are better than everyone else because they grow their hair long, wear circus tents for bathing suits and won't wear pants are part of a clique that says it's better to do things this way. They confuse Christianity with behavior and morals, which seems like a common thing to do in our society. "Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." Modesty means, I think, the same as "temperance" - going the right length and no further. You can be modest in a ball gown, or prideful and immodest in a plaid flannel shirt and jeans. Modesty is an attitude, not a dress code. Most people are by nature modest in some form, and think that people who stand out on either side, people with floor-length prairie dresses and dental floss tank tops are equally immodest.

Think about it - you do, don't you? But if wearing prairie dresses is just your thing, and you don't care what anyone else does, then go crazy with it.

"Don't bother me about modesty and temperance, I prefer a shot of grape juice." On a similar note, there is just no telling some people that Jesus drank wine, and IF you believe He was the sinless Messiah, then drinking is not/cannot be a sin, no matter how much you want it to be. It's the same kind of issue - they distill what they consider "proper" behaviour down to a set of rules that they can keep.

Some people just want rules so badly they are willing to make them up.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I love socks for their portability, for the gorgeous yarns, and for the relatively short time it takes to knit them.

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you brough up the wine issue! This is something that has always confused me about certain Christian groups. I could never understand why they wouldn't drink wine if Jesus did. Now with your point about the prideful 'modesty' I'm starting to get it, thanks!

11:42 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Wow, thanks!

12:44 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Prideful modesty and bathing suits... in my own way of following that line of thinking (which I don't disagree with I dont think) is that there is no shame in wearing my ill-fitting, expensive bathing suit, if you can't find nor afford one better? I'm probably flubbing my thoughts here but my bathing suit fit me adequately enough for me to safely swim in and keep all parts concealed, and now I safety pin the zipper at the top to still feel that sense of 'modesty'. But while some people may see the larger bosom as 'prideful', I just know they exist and I gotta deal with keeping them covered!

I hope that made sense.

1:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home