Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Awwwww, THANKS!

Thanks for all the nice stuff y'all said/sent my way this week. :) Sniff!

Grady is home and I wish I could say he's ALL better. He's not. He's certainly doing better than he was - logically, he's now on thyroid medicine so he's GOT to be better than last Thursday - but he's not himself. He's lethargic and just kind of not-right. I don't blame him - he was locked up in a metal box and peed on a towel for five days. It also could be his body adjusting to the meds or the lower level of thyroid hormone. He gets a pill twice a day, and I use Greenies Pill Pockets to give them to him. He also has an eyedropper antibiotic for his icky teeth. (No cleaning/anesthesia until the thyroid is under control.) That works ... not so well. You have not lived until your cat has flung wet antibiotic juice out of his mouth onto you.

Here is a summary of what happened in any given 15-minute period last night:

1. Schmade wanders in the room, snoops and sniffs around, and finds a place to lay down.
2. I reach over and pet him, or at least mentally note where he is.
3. Fiona walks by, nonchalantly, and just as she reaches him, stops, looks over, and hisses. Walks off. He lifts up his head, blinks at her, and lays back down.
4. Schmade gets up and drinks water.
5. Hides under bed.
6. Comes out, wanders, snoops and sniffs.

Etc.

I am stopping to by a Feliway refill tonight on the way home. Have I mentioned that stuff is MAGIC? (I am not sure I have. It's a little air-freshener plug in thingy, and moods calm down NOTICEABLY when it's full. But they had reached a truce, so I wasn't filling it up again. Clearly truce is off.)

I think Schmade stinks of the kennel and this is why Fee is hissing. I am going to probably give him a bath tonight or tomorrow.

7 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Poor Grady...

9:13 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I am so glad it is a treatable thingie. When giving him liquid meds, try to aim down the back of his throat. Put the tip of the syringe inthe corner of his mouth (where horses would have a bit) , push gently, he'll open his mouth and you quickly squirt down the back of his throat. (can you tell I have done this alot with my geriatric kitty?)

9:35 PM  
Blogger mrspao said...

Glad to hear Grady is home again. Our kitty has a thyroid condition, too and she is doing well because of the meds. Fee will come round after a day or so because our other kitties usually hiss when one of the others has been to the vet and they are usually ok when the vet smell wears off.

12:43 AM  
Blogger Nancy G said...

Our oldest, 16 yo Tigger, ALWAYS hisses at the other cats when they come home smelling of Evil Vet (EV). What's really funny is when he hisses at them when it was HIM that went to EV.

Oh, I also wanted to mention that 2 of our 4 cats have been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, but the methimazole they take to treat it is not in pill form. Our vet calls the prescription in to a local compounding pharmacy, which dispenses it in the form of an ointment. Then all I have to do is apply the prescribed amount to the inside of their ear flaps (alternating left and right sides). Ever so much easier than shoving a pill down the throat!

2:42 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Wow! That is really cool.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

I'll keep the happy healthy kitty vibes coming!

10:27 AM  
Blogger Rose Campion said...

Yes, the ear ointment stuff is way better than the pills. I speak from experience.

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home