Saturday, June 28, 2008

Update on Grady

He doesn't have kidney disease, or any other disease except severe hyperthyroidism, which is apparently fairly common in aging cats. Two years ago, he weighed 25 pounds. Last summer, he was 20 or 21. Today, he weighs 16. That is the equivalent of a human losing 100 pounds! I knew he was skinnier but he's not emaciated - he's still overweight. I have to say I did not see this one coming. It's serious, but it's definitely one of the more treatable things that could be wrong with him.

Anyway, he's staying at the vet till Monday afternoon and we discuss treatment then. It will either be a pill, radioactive iodine, or surgery. I have no idea which. If it's a pill, it's a pill a day for life. I'm cool with that.

Thanks for your prayers and well-wishes. Fee and I are having a slumber party this weekend. You know, karaoke, sleeping bags, paint your toenails. Fun!

:)

7 Comments:

Blogger Jeanne said...

Hi, Jen, I haven't commented in ages but I'm still reading... that is good news for Grady. If it has to be something, better that it's something manageable. I'll cross fingers for the pill. I gave my dearly departed cat Vincent insulin shots every morning for two years. You get used to it.

What color toenail polish does Fee prefer? Will there be photos? ;-)

5:02 PM  
Blogger Bridget said...

I'm glad it's only hyperthyroidism - two of our cats had it. If you decide to go the medication route, know that it comes in liquid form too - you can place the dropper in the side of their mouths and squirt it in! That worked much better for us!

7:14 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Whew - at least it's something not too bad, in the scheme of things!

9:50 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Thank God it's something treatable. Let's hope the pill option is the preferred remedy. Radioactive iodine just doesn't sound good at all. And surgery for an older cat is best avoided.

10:17 PM  
Blogger mrspao said...

My kitty has a thyroid condition and we found the meds helped a lot. We'll be thinking of you.

1:50 AM  
Blogger Alicia said...

So happy he will be okay. :) Grady and I have something in common now. :)

6:57 AM  
Blogger Tanya said...

So sorry about Grady but glad he will be on the mend very soon. Hope you and Fee had fun!

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home