Monday, June 30, 2008

Somebody probably ought to stop me, low-rent edition

Thank you for all the well-wishes about Grady. I am still waiting to hear back from the vet about treatment.

These days, I am trying to keep in mind what the Yarn Harlot said about crochet, because I agree absolutely: it's dangerous. It goes so fast, you can be midway through a complete travesty and never even notice it. It uses approximately eighteen times the yarn knitting does. Dodgy all the way around.

So I've been playing around with scrap yarn that I had from a knitting project, and that's where the yellow, orange and green granny-square blanket came from. A week or so ago, I found an Erika Knight book called Simple Crochet, and it is lovely.

If you want to just make simple, beautiful non-granny stuff for your home, it's your book. However, if you ALSO want to spend $270 crocheting a leather basket for your magazines, it's also your book. So be careful.

Now, for some reason, I never feel like using anything but Wool-Ease or cotton for crochet. Probably this is because I have internalized the Yarn Harlot's warnings too much, and because I am afraid of making a $300 basket. Eventually I will get through this phase and use some of my nice yarn for a crochet project. But this one has to be washable if it is anything, and I mean wash-and-dry-able. And I don't yet trust my crochet skills enough to do a fancy project. So...this is my first-ever ACTUAL crochet project, following a pattern, using more than scrap yarn, and not granny-squares.

It's going to be the Striped Throw from the Erika Knight book. (You will have to trust me, I can't find a picture.) So what you see here is basically 1800 yards ($30! HA!) of brown (the color of powdered hot chocolate), avocado and gold Wool-Ease worsted yarn that is going to become a 70s-appliance-colored throw. (My crafty basket is a 99-cent Whole Foods bag with a tear in the bottom and the sides rolled down.)

The stitch pattern is lovely (just a variation on single crochet) and it didn't take me very long to do 22 rows of chocolate (see note above). It's about 36" long and 6" high at this point.

I am not really sure why I thought brown, gold and green was the most fetching of color combinations, but I think this will be very cool in a 70s-basement kind of way. (I hope.) Do y'all need to schedule an intervention with me?

throw2.jpg

3 Comments:

Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Oooh I think that's a lovely color combination!

6:13 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I love these colors! I've never made anything crocheted except washcloths and granny squares. I'd love to try sometime after this blanket is done.

6:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've used this pattern to make baby blankets for people. It's a really nice textural stitch.

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home