Wednesday, November 07, 2007

What a week of "sick" knitting will do for you

I can't believe it! After slogging through the most unimaginably patience-testing knitting in the world on the yoke of Glee (about 450 stitches per round, in Silky Wool, which does not have much give), I divided for the sleeves and buckled down (while I was too sick to knit anything else) to really make progress on the body. I'm within two inches of knitting the bottom ribbing, and it just stands to reason the sleeves will go faster.

But I'm sort of afraid I'll be cutting it realllllly close on the yarn, so of course I am knitting faster. I don't know why I do that, but any time I find myself in danger of being short, I seem to increase speed.

Any other superstitions out there? (PS: Silky Wool felts. I figured this out when I hit a knot in ball 4 of the body. Save yourself those in-the-round end weavings.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Batty said...

I do the same thing. I knit faster because then I won't run out of yarn. It doesn't work, by the way, I've run out of yarn in spite of super sonic needle action.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Kaviare said...

I do that, too. I think it's because I hate the suspense so much - I just need to know whether or not I have enough, and then I can deal with ti (or not)

12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I always knit faster when worried about the yarn left, too.

But my worst superstition involves knitting and sports. If my team does well while I knit, I continue. If it does better when I pause, I pause. I even go so far as to be aware of whether I should look up at the TV as I knit, or keep my head down, looking at the work.

"Blame" my extraordinarily superstitious Daddy. . .

6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home