Saturday, September 08, 2007

Let us eat cake

Here's a cake recipe that's gunning for first place of all time in my book. Very cheap and easy! Most importantly, very tasty!

Pretend like you're making a regular white box cake, and get all the ingredients - a cake mix, a pint of egg whites, some vegetable oil. But also throw in your cart a 16-oz can of unsweetened pineapple. (Come on, it's like a dollar.) Or, you can use an angel-food cake mix and skip the egg whites and oil.

Mix up the cake (I got Betty Crocker) with the oil and eggs and instead of adding water, add the pineapple - but don't drain it! (If you're using angel food cake, just dump in the pineapple and don't add anything else.) This batter does kind of blow up a little when the pineapple hits the batter, so make sure you use a nice big bowl. Beat according to directions and bake - mine took about 5 minutes longer than the recipe stated in a 13 x 9 x 2 glass pan.

It is heavenly! A cross between regular cake and pound cake, the pineapple isn't overt, and I'm not sure anyone who didn't know it was pineapple would even know it contained it. Top with blackberries or chocolate frosting. Delish!

It's a rainy day and I'm also making a pot of chili. I would recommend using different utensils for the chili and the cake. Here's what I do -

1 bag Carroll Shelby's chili mix
1.5 lb ground sirloin
1 can pinto beans
1 can Ro-Tel tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce, 8oz


Get a big pot and brown up the ground beef in a couple tablespoons of olive oil. (This adds some 'good' fat and allows you to buy red meat that is leaner without losing any taste.) After the meat is brown, dump in the beans, the tomatoes, tomato sauce and 2 tomato-sauce cans full of water. (Don't drain the beans or Ro-Tel tomatoes. Dump in all the juice too.) Add the seasoning packet from the chili and about half the salt. Cover, simmer as long as you can. It's fab. I know the recipe on the bag doesn't add the tomatoes or the beans, but it makes it really good and improves the texture. I like mine with sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream and those Scoops chips.

Also, I'm doing laundry.

7 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

I'm dubious about the pineapple but now you've got me craving chili...

4:41 PM  
Blogger bellamoden said...

Pineapple?!? How did you find this out?!?

7:50 PM  
Blogger esp said...

Yummmmm... football season always makes me want to drink bloody mary's and eat chili. If only it were cooler outside.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

I'm liking that cake recipe! Thanks!

10:42 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

I now have an incredible need to bake that cake. Thanks so much for the recipe! Anything that's easy and good is a must try.

10:49 AM  
Blogger chris said...

I wonder what your cake would taste like with chili utensils =)

11:32 PM  
Blogger Nancy G said...

Would that be a 16 oz can of crushed pineapple, or the chunks kind? I'm guessing the crushed, since you said it's not overt in the cake, but thought I should make sure. Thanks!

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home