Thursday, August 16, 2007

Lurching along

I didn't do any more swatching last night, because I had plans, but looky what I got in the mail!

Summer Camp swap gift!

This is from my Summer Camp swap pal, a swap that's been going on at Ravelry. There's a spending limit and half of it has to be spent on yarn, which is one of the best ideas for a swap rule that's ever been. My pal hit a home-run out of the park! She got me some lovely Austermann Step, several kinds of tea and a cool Bodum single-serving tea/coffee press, some chocolate-pretzel mushroom-shaped goodies, a bar of chocolate I literally tore into within minutes, a little pack of knitting notions, an AWESOME knitter's inspiration journal, a card from New York, where she is from. Thank you, HPNYKnits! I really really really love this gift and I'm going to enjoy everything you gave me very much! (And I keep reading your name as 'happyknits'.)

Also, this pal surely knows the way to everyone's heart around here, because each item in the package was individually wrapped in tissue, and you know who loved that. I stacked it up for her and within minutes this is what happened:

Fee likes the tissue

(Not a v good picture, sorry. Seconds after it was taken my friend arrived, so no more pictures of it.)

But I did promise some pictures of my personal Selbu process. Here's my chart and the swatch so far. (I don't have a sketch of the sock, yet.) I like the blue with brown more than I thought I would, but I am still going to try brown with blue just for fun.

Selbu chart

Selbu swatch

I think it goes without saying that one of the most important decisions to make - along with sizing, fit, motif and yarn - is going to be which yarn is the background. It's going to look totally different when I swap them. And as you can see, my particular brand of crazy means knitting charts top down. (I don't honestly know why I numbered it that way!)

Happy Thursday! I don't have anything to eat for breakfast so I've got to rush and eat in the cafe at work. Eggs today! Maybe some bacon.

9 Comments:

Blogger Nell said...

Great package!

I just love you blue/brown colour combo. I'm wearing just those colours right now. A blue grandad cardy over a brown tee.

8:12 AM  
Blogger teabird said...

I love those colors too -

8:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very nice color combo. When I took my DD to the mall for back-to-school clothes, there was a whole section at Limited Too in this combination. It's classic and trendy! Nice FI work, too.

8:39 AM  
Blogger bellamoden said...

Great swap package! How cool is that?

And the blue with brown is ethereal. I really like it!

9:07 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Love your swatch! Nice swap package too :)

10:08 AM  
Blogger Maggi said...

Hey, Jen! My cats love to lie on tissue paper, too. And it I was making those mittens--instead of being too intimidated by colorwork -- I would make one each way! You're doing a great job so far ~

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well you know me, I love the color combo. And it is truly a tiny world. I bought a pack of those very mushroom-shaped cookies when I was in the Narita airport a couple years ago! They're quite yummy. And I kept the box for a while because I thought it was so cute. :)

5:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The little Japanese "mushroom" thingies? Love them!!!

6:22 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

Fantastic Swap! And I am loving your swatch!!

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home