Monday, April 09, 2007

Hairball knitter strikes again!

That's right - I'm knitting lace. Can you believe it? Though it's currently going through its awkward, junior-high, resembles-a-hairball stage, I think this one is a winner. Long-time readers will remember the skein of Alpaca with a Twist Fino I bought last fall, and my terrible attempts to knit a Flower Basket Shawl with it. Not only was it way too hard for me for a first shawl, I screwed it up so many times that I literally dreaded the pattern. And I have to learn to say no, sooner. But I finally accepted that we were not meant to be, me and this shawl, and frogged it. What you see here is 9 repeats of the Forest Canopy Shoulder Shawl. I started it on Friday, worked a lot on Saturday and a little on it on Sunday. I doubled the yarn and used a #8 needle. Boy, I was scared to do that. But I think the gauge is perfect, and I'm really hoping my mojo will last to get this thing done by Mother's Day. So far it's cruising, but those rows are getting longer, and I feel destined for a big mistake although this is not a hard pattern at all. I have a lot of yarn left, like over half my yarn, and I'm thinking I'll just keep going as long as time and sanity hold out, and give up when I've got about 100 yards left. (I'm playing that one by ear.)

Here's to the Mojo...
Forest Canopy Shoulder Shawl 1

Forest Canopy Shoulder Shawl 2

(The light is kind of harsh in that first one, sorry.)

And here's the Schmade, supervising the temporary blocking.
Schmade sleeps

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Looks like you got it this time!

7:48 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Very nice. Makes me itchy to get back to my current lace WIP! And you have such a handsome supervisor :P

8:14 AM  
Blogger Mandy said...

What a beautiful cat! Those are some gorgeous green eyes!

Can't wait to see your finished lace. I love this pattern.

8:38 AM  
Blogger pamela wynne said...

looking good! that red is really lovely.

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks wonderful. And don't forget, as the rows get longer you start to use up lots and lots more yarn. That's why you seem to have some much left.

10:58 AM  
Blogger CelticCastOn said...

ohhhhh looks great!

6:03 PM  
Blogger Peevish said...

Yep, you definitely got the mojo back!

11:12 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Oh! That is looking beautiful! :)

4:40 AM  
Blogger Grandma Barb said...

I love that shawl - and I purchased the pattern last night. It's just beautiful and I think Catherine may have just the right yarn for me.

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home