Sunday, August 20, 2006

Finished! Object!

Cosmetic Bag from Holiday Knits

Started: last week of July, 2006
Finished: 20 August 2006
Needles: #4 and #6 INOX Express, 40" cord
Yarn: Sugar'n Cream cotton, pink, white, red
3 1/2" metal snaps
2 5/8" white buttons
Red embroidery thread

Modifications: None, except yarn substitution

Pattern notes: For the love of a small dog named Pete, do NOT use Sugar'n Cream if you make this bag. It was like running uphill, underwater, with a 50-pound bag of rabbit chow strapped to my hips. Use the King Tut, or some Fantasy Natural, or Tahki Cotton Classic, or even Rowan Handknit Cotton. Anything but SnC. Because it's hard to knit with.

Thanks to the helpful suggestion of Chris, I was able to get the snaps on the bag this morning in record time. Thank you for suggesting embroidery thread. I feel I owe you my life. :o)

Seaming the bottom of the bag was El Paino in La Reardo. But this does make a very nice, sturdy bag that will stand up to the effects of cosmetics on a daily basis, should its new owner so choose. It's a birthday present for my friend (I hope she doesn't read my blog.)

So here are the pictures, including an action shot. (Sorry they are so big, but the small ones were kind of blah.)

Flap closed

Flap open

Snaps

In action

Would I make this bag again? In a heartbeat! I plan to, but in Tahki Cotton Classic, I think.

Happy Sunday! Stay frosty.

14 Comments:

Blogger Martina said...

Love it!

12:03 PM  
Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

It's adorable! Is there any BE in there :)?

12:29 PM  
Blogger lekkercraft said...

supercute bag - i love the colors!

12:54 PM  
Blogger hootsister said...

Fantastic, love it!

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a finished object to be proud of - it's turned out beautifully. And how is Fee feeling?

5:04 PM  
Blogger justinamaria said...

hey, that's such a lovely purse! and great colour choices.

6:51 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

That is a very good looking bag!

7:04 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Love it! Great job on it and thanks for the warning on the yarns to use! Stay away from the P & S n creams! :)

8:22 PM  
Blogger silverarrowknits said...

The bag looks great! I have been thinking of making one myself, so I will keep your suggestions in mind!

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lurve your bag!
I cannot find the rest of my yarn for use on this bag, so I am at a standstill for oh, a month. Until I can unpack everything and find the silly yarn. I have currently finished the 5" lining.
How's Fee?

11:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for your tips about not using Sugar n' Cream for it though, I will definitely write that down as this is a Must-Do-Project! Great job!

3:39 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

ooh love the knitted lining.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

You're very welcome! I love how the bag turned out, too - it seems a lot cuter than I remember from the book. :)

1:54 PM  
Blogger Lynne said...

That is so stinking cute. I love that bag! I have the same Marilyn pattern and the same yarn to do it...one of these days! I'm glad to see you like the yarn. I also had my doubts, but I just had to have it!

6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home