Saturday, February 18, 2006

Houston, we have a problem

And I am not talking about the built-in air conditioning. That is the absolute least of my worries and I'll fix it later.

Heel

I'm also not talking about the appalling lack of colour in my skin, though that has been radioed to Houston on previous occasions.

What I am talking about is the instep. Although the foot on this sock is positively roomy and fits better than any I've ever made, here is what the instep looks like -

Foot

And that is a serious problem.

It's one I'm really not sure how to solve. It's too tight on all the subsequent rounds after the heel stitches are taken back in. So...Here are my possible solutions:
1. Rip it back, add 2 sts to each needle and keep knitting in pattern
2. Rip it back and begin with some k2, p2 ribbing (or maybe k4, p2).

I was going to do some ribbing anyway, becauses the leg isn't going to be stretchy enough and I don't really care much for the garter stitch cuff the pattern calls for. So doing it a little sooner? No big deal, and the ribbing won't exactly ruin the sock.

I'm a little discouraged that the rest of it fits so well and then this...my ankles aren't very big, at least they aren't out of proportion or anything. Despite the horridness of this photo, they really aren't freakishly large.

So what do I do? I think I'm going with the ribbing, but for now I'm going to knit the rest of Mom's sock yarn into a hat, and make some gauntlets to match if I can find a color that coordinates. Maybe after that I'll have the answer.

I really hate these stupid things have a bad attitude today.

6 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Very odd!! It looks like the heel needs to be deeper maybe? I know squat about short-row heels, alas. The sock looks very cool otherwise!

4:36 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

No, I've done short row heels before and they always feel a little...short. It's the right size...I just need to adjust the pattern for my ankle bone.

See this link

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are so pretty though! I will indeed have to make these. And you can pat me on the head when I throw them out of my car while going 65 on the highway...

It was good to have an actual conversation with you today. :o)

Did I mention how pretty they are?

6:12 PM  
Blogger ~k said...

Oh, I have no idea how to remedy the situation...by the way.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

That totally makes sense, thanks for the advice!

10:45 AM  
Blogger Scoutj said...

I know this was from a few days ago but I wanted to say that other than the instep problem it looks cool!

7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home