Sunday, January 15, 2006

Stash Hiding Expedition

Honestly, I am not going to knit up all the yarn I have in a week or even a month. My stash hasn't reached "my own yarn store" status yet but I have crazy amounts of yarn. I should own stock in Blue Sky Alpacas and Lorna's Laces. I have pairs and pairs worth of sock yarn - good stuff. I have a british ton of Wool of the Andes for making toys (and somewhere in there is a pair or two of wristwarmers).

I had company coming - an old roomie who needed a place to stay for a few days - and this made me view my apartment with a critical eye. I have a big apartment. A big, nice apartment with huge windows and crown molding and a nice fireplace (but a tiny kitchen). But when one of the major design elements in this big apartment is Yarn, *and* you have company coming, it's probably better to hide some of that yarn away.

So I did - I bought some Ziploc XL bags and one - ONE - of those monsters is holding the Wool of the Andes under my end table. Another is about half-full of wool-acrylic mix, ranging from crappy and sneezy (Encore Worsted) to barely tolerable (Wool-Ease). (I haven't been able to get my family and friends to shed their horror of hand-washing yet.) This means my copper tub for yarn is now full, instead of overflowing. It means I don't look like a crazy yarn lady anymore.

I've been reading "The Secret Life of a Knitter" which I got for Christmas, and in which she talks all about hiding stash all over the house. If I did this, I'd never find it again. Ever. I have a closet full of clothes I don't wear anymore that I can't bear to part with. Boxes of junk for my portfolio. Practically every computer box I have ever walked in the house with. Putting yarn in there too is just a bad idea.

She also talks about how there are kinds of works in progress - ones you'll never finish because the project was wrong, the yarn was wrong, or the knitter was wrong were the most interesting to me. I have a lot of this. Garnstudio silk tweed comes to mind. Lovely yarn, bought for a lace project and absolute hell to knit with. (Scratchy.) I should have waited that day and gone to the OTHER yarn store for the Elsebeth Lavold I wanted. Things like that mean I have tons of yarn I'll never use, that is too skimpy a quantity to trade, and too nice to give away.

And I really love the colour of that yarn, a deep bricky red, so maybe I'll find something else for it. And since we all know the word "maybe" is the one that dooms knitters to a lifetime of unused stash that must be held on to, then I am doomed.

So the stash is hidden and I'm sitting here with a cup of green tea, ready to knit the toe of my prize sock. I hope blocking radically changes this yarn, because I still don't like how it knits up. I'm going to block after I finish this one, so if it stinks I can go buy some other sock yarn (since I don't have any solids) and only be half a project behind.

More later.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Heh - I could so relate as I was reading this post! Two things keep my little condo from looking like the lair of a crazy yarn lady. The first is the cat - can't leave yarn lying uncontained.

The second is my gloriously large bedroom closet, which holds a shocking number of Sterilite plastic tubs. Things might be getting out of hand, however, since I recently had to tuck one of those tubs away in the pantry... Bad sign when there's too much yarn to be contained in the bedroom...

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think ebay for unwanted yarn.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Well don't go in my garage..(no cars in there)(everything is packaged up yarn & fabric) Looks like I could start a fiber store!
Yikes!

1:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home