Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Good line from Babette's Feast -

All that is yours, that has been given to you. All that is not yours, that has also been given to you.

I really don't want to be one of those people sitting at the table and scowling and refusing to enjoy the masterpiece put before me.

Major print problems with two issues of mag, and I am not a happy camper today. But at least I am out of the Sweaty Frankenboot of Doom.

I went to see Skeleton Key this weekend. Now let me be the first to say this is just not a good movie. It's kind of "The Others" meets "Freaky Friday." There are a great number of cliches in the movie's employ - old blind black lady with milky cataracts, crazy gas station owner, the hoodoo lady, etc. Of COURSE Kate Hudson's character had a tattoo and a VW Beetle (does anybody really think this makes them an individual?). Well anyway. But then it did a great job of conveying what I have always thought is the oppressive creepiness hanging in the air over New Orleans. And Gena Rowlands was absolute genius. But the idea of body-stealers is not a new one, and the aura of NO was not enough to carry this movie. So the creepy people went into the kids and then the Devereaux and then the other people. It was a malicious, mean-spirited movie in a lot of ways.

If you are looking for a genuinely good haunted house movie, then The Others should be your choice.

Think today I will sign up for NetFlix.

2 Comments:

Blogger Miss Kalendar said...

You know, I saw Babette's Feast when i was something like 13. I never met another person who saw it except my Aunt and uncle who I watched it with.....I guess this proves it is a real movie.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Yeah, and it's a really, really great movie! Now you know someone else who has seen it. :) I think it's really an inspiring movie about grace.

- Jen

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home