Saturday, December 16, 2006

I can hear the angels singing

At exactly 10:30pm CDT tonight, I bound off the last stitch on the Moderne Baby Blanket. I heard the chorus of angels! Y'all think I'm kidding.

Ok, ok. It was actually part of the soundtrack of The Return of the King, which I was watching. But I can make it what I want, right?

Here is proof:

And there was much rejoicing

And this new hat I finished for my stepmom's birthday is quite possibly my most favorite item I have ever knitted. I must IMMEDIATELY cast on for another for myself. Specs:

What it really looks like

(please excuse the dark circles; I'm not feeling well and wasn't wearing concealer)

Top of hat

Outside of hat

Inside of hat

Hat
My own pattern, inspired hugely by Jared, because of the way he lined a hat that he made. 110stitches, basic 1x1 ribbing for 3.5", stockinette for another 3", then decrease (but first knit the lining and attach it), pick up around cast on edge and knit for the same amount for the lining, pick up a stitch at a time from the inside of the hat and k2tog with the lining, as I was binding off.
Yarn: Cascade Ecological Wool, about 1/5 of one skein, and Karabella Aurora 8, about 1/2 a skein for the lining
Yarn source: Threaded Bliss
Size 6 INOX Express needle for ribbing and lining, size 8 Addi Natura for the rest
Time: I cast on for this on Thursday at the doctor's office and finished at 2pm today. Quick knit.

I absolutely LOVE how you can see the brown at the bottom of the hat. It makes me so happy I can't see straight. The hat is big. It's cushy. It has a double-knit brim for cold weather. It looks good. It's comfy.

Y'all, I am so in love. Also, my new favorite band. (Listen to Volcanoes.)

6 Comments:

Blogger Zonda said...

Yay for finishing the blanket!! The hat looks great! I need to make one! Nice work! :)

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I totally love the blanket, it's gorgeous - congrats on finishing it!
And the hat - well, if there ever was the perfect hat, then it must be this one! Really, this is exactly the hat that I've been wanting to do for myself for ages, but I neither came across a suitable pattern nor did I get myself in gear to do the pattern myself. ;( Congrats, this one is amazing indeed!

2:30 AM  
Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

Hurray for a BEAUTIFUL finished blanket!!! And a FAV hat! What a great day for you :)

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard that angels-singing sound before, when casting off something significant--don't think you're crazy :)

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The blanket is beautiful, but I too am in love with the hat! How did you do the decreases at the top? They turned out so nicely. All my hat decreases seem to come out funny (way too puffy).

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home