Monday, July 31, 2006

Weighing In

Apologies for anyone I might offend, but if you have a (free) NYT subscription, click this link and read. It's about a pastor who's refusing to allow his church to weigh in on political issues.

(I wish that church was here, where I live.)

So last night, though some of you may think I'm the weirdest weirdo to ever come from Planet Weird, I watched a couple of shows on Discovery Channel about people who were severely overweight and doing something about it. That's the attraction for me - I don't feel like watching just to watch. I want to cheer people on.

Anyway, three years ago I lost 50 pounds on Weight Watchers. I still use their maintenance program, but lately - life, stress, stomach, asthma - I haven't been as good at my workouts. So it helps to watch and be inspired by other people to continue down my path to health. I never have worried that much about looking thin, but I sure don't want diabetes and heart disease.

Last night I realized something, which probably tells you a lot about my Inner Poseur: gaining weight back after you've lost it, or falling out of the habit of exercising...how original. How easy, how cliche, how boring. I know there are people out there who have medical reasons they'll fight their weight all their lives, but I don't have that excuse.

My only excuse for being out of shape or overweight, ever, is going to be bad choices.

Thinking along these lines, I'm not going to knit a project to the bitter end if I've made a bad choice of pattern, yarn or size. I'm not going to pursue finishing a layout if I've made a bad choice of crop, photo or typeface. Generally realizing I've made a bad choice means I'll do everything in my power to undo that choice. So why not apply that to health as well?

There was a time when I thought every single day, "Have I done everything I possibly could to be healthy today?" That was always super helpful to me, because it made each day the sum total of choices. And though I'm not in any danger now, aside from maybe needing to lose four or five pounds and START WALKING MORE, it's still the sum total of choices. It's just whether I let myself sit home and not work out and make excuses (even though everyone agrees that working out is the only thing that keeps weight off long term), or whether I do it.

I have always felt this way about myself - I know I can do lots of things. The question is, will I.

I know, I've turned into your motivational speaker lately. But I'm trying to motivate myself, and just sharing what I'm thinking about.

These things are simple, but they are not easy. This week I'm going to walk four times and be more careful about what I eat for lunch.

7 Comments:

Blogger Martina said...

Very interesting article. One of my main problems with organised religion is that wars are fought in the name of it. We should all be learning to live and let live. Interesting guy. I need to work out more too.. why do I allow myself to not make the right choice?

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you! I am de-lurking to comment on your self-motivation. One question I ask myself when faced with a challenging choice, is "Will I be glad I at least tried this, afterwards?". So far, answering that question has got me parasailing, and hiking about on the Great Wall of China (not at the same time). Figure out what works for you, and go with it!

Also, congrats on your decision, since it took me til I was about 45 to "allow" myself to not finish every book I took out of the library.

(proud mother of shaxophile.blogspot)

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link - as a British Christian it's fascinating (and somewhat scary at times) to observe Christianity in the US - there are so many amazing people over there, and so many... well (to me) worrying people. This guy is taking a very important stand. (Although there's lots I'd probably still disagree with him about...)

I try to keep my weight under control by basically keeping an eye on what I eat - with two small children, and a part-time job that I cycle to and from, I get a fair amount of exercise anyway. It's the evenings that kill me - I can eat brilliantly all day, but once the children are in bed it takes all my willpower not to hoover up the contents of the fridge... but that's where knitting really helps - I can't knit with sticky fingers...

12:57 PM  
Blogger mrspao said...

That is a really interesting article - thanks for sharing it. I'm always a bit stunned when I hear people saying the US is a Christian country as I don't see it that way.

I have been up and down with my weight. Recent concerns over diabetes have made me do something about it. Thankfully tests have come back clear so far.

1:59 PM  
Blogger noblinknits said...

I took a bad ass dance class today and wished I had known about them two years ago!

3:42 PM  
Blogger Peevish said...

You go for it!!

4:43 PM  
Blogger Bev said...

Wow, this guy has the courage of his convictions! Thanks for a refreshing breath of fresh air (badly needed in the area I live in!!) I do believe that this whole issue is why our Founding Father's were smart enough to say there should be no state religion...

I find myself struggling with the "I hate the way I look, and I know it would be healthier if I lost weight" vs "I hate to exercise since I've never found anything I enjoyed doing".....I guess I simply haven't found the proper motivation.....(I don't motivate well on fear), so I applaud your efforts....go forth and do great things!

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home