Friday, April 07, 2006

Scary news about Mom

Bear with me - this is a long story.

Mom had an abscessed tooth about 10 days ago. It was extracted and she took antibiotics for an infection in her jawbone. That was Monday. Tuesday, she went to see a patient (she's a home health nurse) and the patient refused to extend her leg for bandaging, so Mom had to do some contortions to do it. When she did, she heard a crack. She's been in severe pain - lower back - ever since. And running a low fever. The whole thing with the back was workman's comp, so she felt her treatment was a bit scattered between urgent care and emergency room stuff.

So anyway, today she ended up back at the urgent care because of severe pain and because she had a high fever - 103.6. They put her on morphine and sent her by ambulance to the hospital.

The ER doctor thinks her heart is infected. This is very, very serious. If left unchecked, it will destroy the heart valves and necessitate open heart surgery. Since she's also very confused, they aren't sure if her brain is involved also - it might have an infection too. (Also very serious.)

They started her on treatment for the heart infection, and she'll get tests tomorrow to confirm. In the meantime, if you have ever said a prayer before in your life, say one for my mom, Connie.

I'm shaking. Really bad.

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Whoa. Jen, I don't even know what to say!! You and your mom are in my thoughts and I am sending healing energy her way.

To you, I am sending a big *hug*.

8:13 PM  
Blogger strangelittlemama said...

Yikes. I hope everything turns out okay. I'll be thinking good, healthy thoughts for your mama.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Scoutj said...

I'm thinking good thoughts for your mama. So scary!

8:42 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Jen,

I'm so sorry and worried for your Mom. I hope she will be okay - please know she is in my prayers.

Jo

8:45 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Oh, scary! My husband and I are praying for both you and your mom. I hope it's not as bad as the doctor's think it might be. Our thoughts are with you.

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home