Wednesday, April 12, 2006

New toys!

Here's a picture of my two new friends (hint: the Vesper Knit and Tonic is something I've had for months, but was sitting unwound in my stash):
Knit and Tonic

And just for fun I decided to wind one hank of my Sundara sock yarn (colour Popsicle):
Sundara

Notes to anyone thinking of making this purchase - it's so worth it. However, you must 1. Read the instructions (even if you've used a winder many, many times before) about how to snap out that little metal guard just right, or your first ball of yarn will end up wound around the saucer part of the winder. How do I know this? Guesswork. That's all.

2. Make sure you put the winder on a corner of your crappy dining room table (wait, that's my crappy dining room table) in a way that allows you to see the TV while you are winding. Otherwise you will miss the beginning of House and not realize it until you are madly winding yarn and it's impossible to stop.

3. Put frozen lasagna in the oven BEFORE setting up winder & swift and winding yarn. Otherwise you will be eating dinner at 9:22pm. Again, merely guesswork on my part.

My hair is still soaked, so only one other comment before going to dry it - many of you will think I am crazy, but I have to recommend that any time you buy a Stouffer's frozen lasagna you improve it by adding extra cheese and turkey pepperoni to the top before putting it in the oven. It isn't exactly a meal to serve your future mother-in-law (though come to think of it, she'd probably like it) but it's awfully tasty. It would be a good meal to cook for the boyfriend some night when you want comfort food.

Anyway, you see just how small-town I am, don't you?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I 'guessed' about the same things with my winder.

Turkey pepperoni - thanks for the tip ;o)

12:38 PM  
Blogger Betty said...

I have heard that ball winders are great fun. That will be my next knitting purchase. Good seeing at the shop last night. Sock class went well. I have 1 inch of the cuff done. This is because I chose Lorna's Laces sock yarn on Size 1 needles. They are tiny! Progress is slow. But it is looking cute.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

Sooo funny. I love my Royal ball winder. It is such a thrill to see that darn yarn spinning around! I finally broke down after years and now have a swift too. More wonderful spinning, mmmmmm.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Ok, Betty, I thought that was you! Yay, I'm glad we met! Socks are addictive but they seem to move so slowly compared to a sweater...I like Wendy's trick of putting a safety pin in the row you start and then you have a marker of your progress...

2:13 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oh, winding fun!

Um, here's something I guessed: You shouldn't spin yarn like linen (slippery) very fast, because it can come shooting off the ballwinder, unwinding all over the living room in a tangle that is nearly impossible to fix...

2:49 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Oops! Flying yarn! Yummy lasagne...your extras sound interesting.

Yarn is lovely, how did you ever get the Vesper! I hear she sells out quickly...like Dani at Knitting Sunshine on Etsy...

Yummy colors!

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home