Friday, April 21, 2006

(Insert crazy expression here)

There was apparently a big fire at Mom's rehab hospital last night. Mom's in the sub/acute rehab unit. An elderly man down the hall had a dangerous blood sugar drop, lit a cigarette in bed and passed out. Mom woke up to the sound of six fire engines pulling into the parking lot outside her room. Her hall wasn't touched; she counted 35 or 40 firemen running by her door with axes, oxygen tanks, etc. The man who started it was burned, but she didn't know how bad. One fireman had a light implanted in his teeth so that people could find him! Mom wheeled over to look and listen to the nurse's instructions and just watched them run by one after the other.

She's fine, once again thank God, but my goodness - what a night.

Update: The man wasn't burned after all. He was taken to the hospital for observation. The nurse who tried to put the fire out had some smoke inhalation. It wasn't too big a fire. Ok, I feel better. (Yark.)

Another update - the man who started the fire was removed from the nursing home and arrested for arson. It was intentional. The nurse is still in the hospital. Jerk.

6 Comments:

Blogger Betty said...

Thank goodness she is okay!

I must be the only one not knitting Mason*Dixon projects. I have the yarn for a few things, but I told myself that I would not touch any new projects I have queued up until I finish the 1238746 projects I have in progress.

See you tonight!

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Lynne in Memphis said...

Fireman had a light implanted in his teeth? I don't understand.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

I don't either - it could be the drugs talking.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

What was he doing with cigarrettes in a rehab center??!?!!?

I'm glad your Mom is okay!
Jo

11:51 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Whew! Glad she's ok. But yeah, smoking in a rehab center sounds plain wrong.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

It's a rehab hospital - not a drug rehab!!

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home