Monday, March 20, 2006

Parlor games

Tell me something interesting about your ancestry, lineage or family history.

My Knittyboard name is Yoshimi, but I'm not Japanese. I just like the Flaming Lips.

My ancestry:
Maternal grandparents: Grandpa is half Scots-Irish, half French, Gran was Norwegian.
Paternal grandparents: Grandpa was Swiss, Grandma was German.

My Grandpa on my dad's side was born in 1883, and died in 1947 at the age of 64. If he'd been alive when I was born in 1970, he would have been 87. Today he'd be 123. (Now that's old.) His family came from Switzerland in the 1740s, and founded Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. (They were Mennonites for many years, but that was way before my time.)

Anyway, looks...I guess I look Swiss most, with Norwegian-Irish running a close second. My mom has the classic ruddy skin, red hair and square (I mean Kennedy-esque) jaw of the Irish. Dad looks like an old Swiss guy, and a bit like Christopher Plummer.

Your turn!

4 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Well, let's see...

I'll start with Dad because he is easier. My paternal grandparents emigrated to Canada after WWII from England. My paternal grandfather was Yorkshire, my paternal grandmother's family is Scottish, but she was born in Brighton and lived in London until she emigrated.

Mom's family is a bit more complicated. My maternal grandfather's family was half Irish (and they came to Canada way back in the 1700's) and half Metis (which in itself is half Indian and half French). Incidentally, my grandpa missed both WWI and WWII - he was too young for the first and too old for the second.

My maternal grandmother's family is either all Ukranian (emigrating to Canada in 1903) or half Ukranian, half Irish. My baba remarried right after her first hsuband died, so it is a little up in the air whether my grandmother's father was the first or second husband.

How does this all manifest in me? I have a redhead's fair skin, dark auburn hair - which would seem to point to the Scots-Irish. My sisters are more like my Mom (who, while having green eyes and blonde hair) have the more olive-toned skin that may or may not come from the Metis part.

There you go :)

Jo

11:29 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I can't get anywhere near as detailed as Jo! Wow. I'm German, Irish, and an assortment of miscellaneous British Isles mutt. I look quite German, but since I live in Minnesota, everyone assumes I'm Scandinavian - which I'm not at all.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Niquie said...

My ancestry is very interesting, at least to the eys, its interesting.

My paterntal grandmother is African American, who supposedly has some Native American roots as well and my grandfather is puerto rican who joined the US Army right before Korea and did a stint in Korea, and some how ended up in a little town in Pennsylvania. He is always part Ita lian as well.

My maternal grandparents are english and germain I think. I'm not quie sure. We have names like Hayes, JOnes, and Smith on my this side. I think that my mother's ancestors immigrated to Kentucky before they headed toward Illinois.

Lets see...In me this is how I ended up with dark hair and eyebrows, more latin features in my face, except my nose and my hazel green eyes. My skin tone is more olive tham pink like my mothers and I tan rather easily.

I think thats it. :)

12:08 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Hmm, I can't half as detailed as Jo here. I'm mostly Italian, but there is Irish ancestry on my mom's side, so I have very fair skin and reddish hair. However, I do have a tendency to "talk with my hands" like I'm told Italians do.

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home