Sunday, February 05, 2006

Done!

I finished Dad's birthday socks on Friday night, after lots of knitting time on planes:

Dad's Star Trail Socks again

This shows the color better:

Dad's Star Trail Socks

I used all but about 20 yards of each ball. Dude has big feet! A man on the plane asked me what I was making and when I told him he said he had size 13 feet. I held up the one that was nearly done and asked if they looked right. He said, "Just make them stretchy." Well, I can fit both fists balled up into one sock side-by-side. I doubt anyone's feet are that big. But you can see how nicely they draw in, too. Hopefully that's a plus. I have no way to try them out on anyone, so these are socks by faith. I am really, really pleased with how they turned out. They are a near-perfect match, except for a gray toe on one and blue toe on the other.

I started Mom's birthday socks yesterday afternoon and got some good airplane knitting done then, too:

Mom's Lighthouse socks

The yarn is Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport in Icehouse on 2.5mm needles. LL's Shepherd Sport is my go-to sock yarn. It's cushy, probably too soft for socks, but so soft and pretty. I love making "house" socks out of it. This pair is the Diagonal Rib Socks pattern from IK's subscriber-only section (and I just subscribed!). The pattern is lovely and easy.

I just started the gusset decreases. I love this pattern so much I think I'm going to adapt it for armwarmers. I was worried I'd have trouble parsing the pattern at first, so I had a little previsualization session. Previsualization helped me learn how to feather my oar when I was a rower; it helped me become a runner. Why wouldn't it help me be a better knitter? I sat with my eyes closed and imagined what it might look like to k2tog, but keep both sts on the left needle and knit the first stitch again. Finally I "saw" it - and when I went to do it, it was no problem! I still left out part of a pattern repeat on my first try, but it wasn't the usual botch job of "sight-reading" a pattern. So I have learned a new trick!

This photo shows the rib pattern better. The diagonal ribs pop out, while the regular ribbing stays in the background looking chic:

Rib pattern

And finally, a couple of cat pictures:

Grady
"I do not like cameras."

Fiona
"I'm an arty type of cat."

Happy Superbowliday!

8 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Wow, you are on a sock roll! Glad the Dad socks are done... and that your Mom socks are looking so lovely.

And of course - thanks for the cat pictures. :)

9:17 AM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

Great socks! Knitting for small feet sure takes less time ;) That is one macho cat and he knows he is handsome.
Have a Happy Stupidbowl Sunday!

9:56 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

You're welcome, but I could never get the level of art out of them that you get from Chaos. They hate the camera.

(And yeah, knitting for small feet is WAY faster!)

10:51 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Both pairs look GREAT! Well done!

9:19 PM  
Blogger ~k said...

Socks look fabulous! I really like the Mom sock pattern, must add that one to my list. Mom and Dad got me a subs. to IK for Christmas...JOY! ::pat, pat to the fluffies::

3:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my, looking at those socks for your dad really drives home just how big size 13 feet are. They turned out fantastic though! And I should have guessed the gorgeous yarn on your mom's socks was LL - truly my favorite yarn company ever. That's a fantastic pattern too. Love the kitties!

12:17 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Your Dad's socks turned out great! Awesome! Your Moms are looking good too!

8:37 PM  
Blogger Scoutj said...

I love those socks!

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home