Saturday, February 11, 2006

Daylight

I'm wondering if I should have joined "Team What the Heck Was I Thinking."

Honestly? This pattern is too hard for me. I've been a sock knitter for quite a few pairs now, and I thought I was doing pretty well. But this? I'm really not doing well. I'll keep at it for reasons listed below, but I'm really struggling.

First there was the cast-on. (Debi, I'm going to try the Turkish next time, I just wanted to try this one once because it's what the pattern says to do.) Talk about fiddly! Talk about next to impossible! I had to get out the Hated Steel Addi Skacel dpns to do it too - you remember how much I despise those needles, and I used them! But I got through it. Looks pretty good, too.

Then the real challenge started! The increases went just well enough to lull me into thinking it was going to be all right. But then I started the pattern.

Well, I had made a chart but (the fun of dyslexia) I did the increases backwards on the chart. I put ssk first, then k2tog - oops. Then I messed up the instructions themselves and knitted row 2 of pattern when I was just supposed to be doing the backside of row 1 on the sole (how predictable for me). But since I'd been doing the decreases wrong anyway, I took my first opportunity to rip back (having learned the Hat Lesson well). It was only 2 rows.

But let me tell you, this pattern is too hard for me. I may eventually get it, but it's going to take sweat and frowning at every step.

Also, a photo of our "big snow" from last night, because the sun is out and by 11am it will be gone. I love the little dog circle.

Olympic progress

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Jen, you can do it!! What you have looks great so far.

Here's a cast on that is sort of like 1/2 the Turkish cast on. It's very simple and pretty quick and looks great - I use it for all my socks.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Keep trying Jen! It's all about challenges, I myself am knitting during my "time of the month," which is being accompanied by migranes. I bet if you keep working at it suddenly everything will "click." Good Luck!

Jen at Yarnpie

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there Jen... You don't know me, but I am friends with Kirsten. I was on the Doulos with her and have heard lots about you. I have a blog and am trying to get as many people as possible to check out my blog so I can make lots of new friends :). You can check out my blog at knittingzfun.blogspot.com

2:47 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Thanks! :) The yarn for my Clapotis is Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport, and I think the colour is called Gold Hill. I love it!

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home