Tuesday, November 16, 2010

In Which The Great Gray Thing Is Finished

Knitters, this is my first-ever Elizabeth Zimmerman project.

(crickets chirping)

Yes. Yes it is. I don't know how in the world I've managed to be a borderline-obsessive knitter for the past six years and not complete a single one of her patterns. I *love* Elizabeth's writing. I *love* it when I see someone's finished project. Why haven't I done one of my own? I have no idea.

But I have now.

This...THIS is the Great Gray Thing.

The Great Gray Thing

This is five skeins of 220 Tweed wool, knit with #10 needles through fall football games and movies, through a few episodes of Lie To Me and The Walking Dead, through reading several books on my iPad's Kindle app.

This is 39,000 stitches. This, dearies, is the July (Pi) Shawl, where I increased up to 576 stitches with a faux-increase round every 6 rows, then added five repeats of gullwing lace, then did EZ's sideways 8-stitch applied i-cord-ish border. For most of October and November, my stitches were bunched up on the biggest Addi circular I had, and I knit blindly, having absolutely no idea what the finished product was going to be.

This is it stretched out.

Stretched Out

This is the reason I knit.

4 Comments:

Anonymous JessaLu said...

Lovely!

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Jen said...

Bravo!!! What an accomplishment! Just beautiful!!! Love, love, love! ♥

2:55 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

It is absolutely beautiful. The color is fabulous.

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Just wow! That is stunning and it's as good reason to knit as ever. Good big job (as my 82 year old neighbor would say!).

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home