Monday, February 19, 2007

Ugly things you can do with yarn

After a lovely day yesterday in which I hung out with a friend, shopped and watched The Queen (it's fabulous, makes me love her), I sat down with my new favorite knitting magazine, Knit Simple. Say what you will...as a magazine designer I love the layout, as a reader I love their editorial voice, and as a knitter I really like a lot of their patterns (remember what I said about not everything being fit for every knitter). This is my first time buying the magazine, and because of...is it YaiAnn? no, I can't find it...a blog I've lately been fascinated by granny squares. Little Purl of the Orient? HA! Yes, it is. I was thinking the blogger's name started with Y, but it's the address that does.

ANYWAY. There's a pattern in the winter KS for a granny square blanket, so I decided to try a little cro-chet. I learnt how to join, dip into a ring or a space to make stitches, double crochet, treble crochet, puff stitch. And it looks absolutely positively gallingly terrible...and it ate up almost half a skein of Patons wool...but I had fun. It was fun to try a new thing I've never done before. I don't think I'll ever be as passionate about it as I am about knitting, but I'm not terrified of it anymore. (Just a little embarrassed at my tension.) Don't think I've crossed over to the dark side or anything.

Another new thing in my life (what breathtaking excitement!) that I love is that Downy Wrinkle Releaser. I think my mom and I kind of balance each other out on this earth. She loves ironing passionately, I despise it with a passion. (When she gets mad at my stepdad she stops ironing his shirts. Ironing is a sign of Love in our house.) So anything that gets me away from that horrid little appliance that takes absolutely forever is my friend. I bought it to get the wrinkles out of my new dust ruffle, which is already on the bed. I did not even want to try to move the mattress myself, let alone sit there and iron that thing. It worked beautifully, so this morning I tried it on a pair of khakis. It works great. Not so great on back-of-the-knee wrinkles, but very well on rumples and other iron-requiring defects.

I also saw Breach. What a creepy scary man, what a great, visually-morally destitute movie. I have a new appreciation for Ryan Philippe. In some scenes he actually looks like a normal, good looking guy instead of his usual weird rat face and overdone hair.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mintyfresh said...

I just have to go on the record as saying I really love ironing, the physical act, but the whole disruption of getting out the ironing board, etc., means i don't iron all that much.

And I'm happy to hear that Ryan Phillippe is almost normal in Breach; I'm planning on seeing it this weekend because it looks interesting and I love Chris Cooper, but I really hate Ryan Phillippe.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Niquie said...

I love down wrinkle releaser. I really don't mind ironing, but I do it on a case by case basis. Jared, however, hates ironing and will wear wrinkled things to work... so I finally got him to use the wrinkle releaser and we are all much happier for it. I'll also spray shirts and such when I put them in the closet too.

8:18 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

I don't own an ironing board. Clothes that need ironing get sent out or worn as is. the wrinkle release stuff is great!

8:47 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Hehe..um..I love to iron...I used to do it for my mom for spending money. I can go through some irons let me tell you!

10:13 PM  
Blogger Love This Space said...

I've been looking for the wrinkle release everywhere. Apparantly, here in Oregon we are OK with rumpled clothes.

I can't WAIT to see Breach!

I love granny squares too. Making them, not so much the look. But I love making squares of almost anything. I'm going nuts over mitered squares right now.

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home